The Mental Health Association partners with the Mental Health Center to provide friendship and support to adults with serious mental health. The clients look forward to these social outings.
Friendship House - A social club for people recovering from a serious mental illness.
Friendship House has been meeting since 1969, and friends meet for lunch and a variety of activities ranging from BINGO, craft projects, entertainment, and educational programs. Friendship House meets the 4th Thursday of each month at The Elk’s Lodge, 2625 Centron Drive SW from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
Friendship House depends on volunteers and on financial and in-kind support from the community. It is important that people with mental illness feel accepted and a part of the community in which they live. Your support helps each meeting of Friendship house become a special occasion for friends, volunteers, and staff.
Ways You Can Help
- Prepare or donate lunch
- Provide entertainment
- Make a financial donation
- Donate door prizes
- Donate BINGO prizes
- Demonstrate and teach an arts and craft activity or game
- Join the Friendship House Volunteer Team
Operation Santa Claus
Christmas is around the corner! Most often, we think of children at Christmas - particularly those children who need assistance. But in our community, we also have adults who would like to be remembered. These adults have a serious mental illness, and may not have family or friends who support them, and/or may not have the financial ability to do something special for themselves. They are clients of the Mental Health Center of North Central Alabama.
Will you join us in providing gifts for our adult friends? They are so appreciative of being remembered at Christmas. Please help us make this the most successful Operation Santa Claus Project ever!
Last year we provided gifts and a luncheon for 151 people.
You may get involved in Operation Santa Claus by:
- Early in November, call the MHA Office for the name of a person and a Wish List. Shop for the person spending approximately $40.
- Give a tax deductible donation of $40 to sponsor one person. Make checks payable to the Mental Health Association and designate it for Friendship House & Operation Santa Claus.(FHOSC)
- Make a dessert for the Operation Santa Claus party. Call 256-353-1160 for details.
- Come to our wrapping party to help wrap all the gifts. Call 256-353-1160 for details.
- Download and share the Operation Santa Claus poster.
With your help, this Christmas can be an exciting time for our special friends. Please call the Mental Health Association office as soon as possible and let us know how you will help.