www.alzheimers.gov - For the people helping people with Alzheimer's
To learn more about Music & MemorySM and its founder Dan Cohen visit http://www.musicandmemory.org.
Alzheimer's disease is a progressive degenerative disorder that attacks the brain's nerve cells, or neurons, resulting in the loss of memory, thinking and language skills, and behavioral changes. Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia, or loss of intellectual function, among people aged 65 and older. Alzheimer's disease is not a normal part of aging.
Services for Families
- Family Support Group at MHA Office 3rd Tuesday - 7:00 p.m. Get Directions.
- Family consultations for support and information about dementia, caregiving, and community resources.
- Dementia education classes, training programs, and educational presentations for family and professional caregivers, clubs, service organizations, and church groups.
- Caregiver resource guide, lending library and Alabama Dementia Education and Training Act (DETA) Program educational materials
- “Project Reach” Scholarships.
- Incontinence products. (application process)
- Nutritional supplements. (application process)
- A Music & MemorySM Certified Organization.
- Annual Lucy and John Caddell Alzheimer’s Conference.
- National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month Activities in November.
Caddell Alzheimer's Conference
The conference is designed for family and professional caregivers, as well as nurses, social workers, licensed professional counselors, nursing home administrators, assisted living administrators, activity professionals, and the general public.
August 27, 2019
More information to be announced. Following us on Facebook for update information.
Music & Memory
Music & MemorySM brings joy into the lives of people living with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia. The Music & MemorySM mission is to improve the quality of life for individuals living with dementia and other chronic cognitive and physical impairments through the use of personalized music and digital technology. Join us in helping those with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias find renewed meaning and connection in their lives through the gift of personalized music.
At the Mental Health Association in Morgan County, we provide personalized music to people living with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias.
Music & MemorySM is rooted in extensive neuroscience research. Ongoing research and evaluation show consistent results and benefits.
- Participants are happier and more social.
- Musical favorites distract from boredom or distress with a soothing, familiar experience.
- Individuals are more cooperative and willing to accept care.
- Agitation and sundowning are often reduced or eliminated.
- Relationships among participants, family, and caregivers deepen.
- Everyone benefits from a calmer, more supportive social environment.
- Growing evidence indicates that a personalized music program gives professionals one more tool in their effort to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic medications.
How can my loved one participate?
At the Mental Health Association in Morgan County, we provide personalized music to people living with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias living in Morgan County. This resource is available for those cared for at home.
Call 256-353-1160 and tell us you want to learn more about Music & MemorySM.
We will explain how you can help your loved one fill out a music history form.
We will then take that information and create playlists which are then downloaded onto an iPod shuffle.
We will teach you how to use the iPod shuffle and give you tips for helping your loved one make the best use of his/her personalized music.
How can I support Music & MemorySM?
Refer caregivers to Music & MemorySM at the Mental Health Association.
Learn more about Music & MemorySM. Arrange for a presentation at your club, church, or organization.
Make a financial donation to support Music & MemorySM at the Mental Health Association. Make your tax deductable donation to Mental Health Association and designate your donation to Music & MemorySM. Mail to: Mental Health Association, PO Box 1502, Decatur, AL 35602.
Donate new or gently used iPod Shuffles and power cord chargers.
Download our Music & MemorySM brochure here.