Depression Support Group
The Mental Health Association sponsors a Depression Support Group which meets on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays from 6:30-8:00 p.m. at the MHA Office, 207 Commerce Circle, SW in Decatur. Some meetings are for discussion and sharing, and others are educational with a speaker on a particular topic.
The support is free and open to adults who have clinical depression or bipolar disorder. A family member or friend may come with them. This is a support group not a therapy group. It is not led by a licensed mental health professional and does not replace professional treatment from a psychiatrist or therapist.
- Share the air.
- Everyone who wishes to share has an opportunity to do so. No one person should monopolize group time.
- One person speaks at a time.
- Each person should be allowed to speak free from interruption and side conversations.
- What is said here stays here. This is the essential principle of confidentiality and MUST be respected by all.
- Differences of opinion are o.k.
- We are ALL entitled to our own point of view.
- We are all equal.
- Accept cultural, linguistic, social and racial differences and promote their acceptance.
- Use “I” language.
- Because we do not participate in support groups as credentialed professionals, we do not INSTRUCT or ADVISE. We, however, do share from our own personal experiences. We are unique individuals, and only we know what is best for our own health (along with our doctor’s recommendations).
- It’s o.k. not to share.
- People do not have to share if they do not wish to.
- It’s everyone’s responsibility to make the discussion group a safe place to share.
We respect confidentiality, treat each other with respect and kindness, and show compassion. From: www. DBSAlliance.org 1-800-826-3632